What is Google My Business?
Google My Business is the modern version of the Yellow Pages and serves as the foundation for SEO for local businesses. With GMB you are able to add your business information to Google so that people looking locally for your products and/or services are able to find you.
It enables your customers to share their experience working with your business via reviews. It also enables you to respond to reviews you receive whether they are favorable or not and hence helps with your brand’s reputation management.
Steps to Create Your Google My Business Account
- Create a Google My Business account
- Add your business information
- Verify your business
Creating Your Google My Business Account
Google My Business works similarly to all Google products where if you have an existing Google account you are able to use it for your GMB account.
If you already have a Google account that you want to use with your GMB account go ahead and login, then go to https://www.google.com/business/ then sign in.
Add Your Local Business Office’s Information
- Step 1: Search to see if your business is already listed on GMB.
- Step 2: If your business isn’t already on Google then you can go ahead and add it.
- Step 3: Choose your business’ category.
- Step 4: Select any services you offer from the services list. You will be able to add/modify these later so not to worry.
- Step 5: Say yes to adding your local business office’s location.
- Step 6: Add your business’ address
- Step 7: Choose no to serving customers outside of your location if you dont.
- Step 8: Add your business’ contact details
- Step 9: Finish up the process
Verify Your Business
When verification options are presented go ahead and choose the easiest one for you.
Once verified you will have yourself your very own Google My Business listing for your local business.
Google My Business Guidelines
- Represent your business as it’s consistently represented and recognized in the real world across signage, stationery, and other branding.
- Make sure your address and/or service area is accurate and precise.
- Choose the fewest number of categories it takes to describe your overall core business.
– GMB Support
Of particular importance when creating your Google My Business listing is to adhere to the recommendations above. However, visiting the link describes all the areas you are able to add information to during your submission and the guidelines for each as well as their overall list of dos and donts.
For businesses that feel like they dont need to follow Google’s GMB guidelines they have made publicly available a Business Redressal Complaint Form.
Their site states the following:
“If you come across misleading information or fraudulent activity on Google Maps related to the name, phone number, or URL of a business, you may use this form to submit a complaint. Complaints submitted through this form will be reviewed in accordance with our guidelines for representing businesses on Google Maps.”
In Summary, Google My Business allows you to add your business to Google’s local search index for your specific type of local business. While this is free and convenient it’s important to take care in following Google’s guidelines to avoid any potential repercussions.